Re: ofpath vs ofpathname vs grub-ofpathname

Hi!

I have finally found some time to work on this issue again.

First things first, I have reviewed the messages in this thread and compared
it with the source code and the knowledge about the hardware I have.

I have concluded that the following changes are necessary in ofpathname:

 1) ofpathname needs to gain support for partition IDs in OF paths; something
    that is currently only supported for the function l2of_nvme() but not
    for l2of_ide() and l2of_scsi().

 2) On PATA systems like the PowerBook G4, the OF path is constructed as:

    /$BUS/$DRIVER/@$DEVID:$PART

 3) On SATA systems like the PowerMac G5, the OF path includes the plug ID:

    /$BUS/$DRIVER/@$PLUGID/@$DEVID:$PART

 4) On systems with Firewire disks, we need to include the node ID on the
    Firewire bus plus the constant for the driver called "sbp-2":

    /$BUS/$DRIVER/$IEEE1394_NODEID/sbp-2/@$DEVID:$PART

1) through 3) are fairly easy to implement, 4) needs some scripting-fu.

I will work on the first three now.

Anyone can provide me with access to a G5 for testing? I just want check the
device paths output by my patched "ofpathname".

Alternatively, can someone run the ofpathname command from the powerpc-utils
package on different physical disks, e.g. sda1 and sdb1 and do the same with
the ofpath command?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz