Re: How to track sudden poweroff ?

On 1/26/20 2:55 PM, Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:
> Since I've installed ppc64 sid on powermac 7,3 G5, I encounter sudden shutdowns.
> These can happen very often if I use the machine, but they also happen when I leave
> it idle. It's a very strong reason not to use sid on this computer.

I have never seen this particular behavior triggered by software. If, by any chance,
this is more likely a hardware issue. Maybe the power supply is unstable or the
CPU is overheating.

> They aren't regular shutdowns and happen instantly, the filesystems are not unmounted
> and broken and so they have to be restored at the next boot. The only partition that
> isn't restored is the grub partition because of broken ppcutils on ppc64. I then use
> debian wheezy to restore it.

That seems to be very unlikely a software problem. But if it was, it would surely be
a kernel problem.

> They happen randomly but seem to be somewhat linked to files access, as they sometimes happen when I'm using mate file selector.

I have absolutely no clue how that would even happen. The kernel doesn't simply power
off the system.

> I've looked into various system logs but can find any entry related to these shutdowns or the date they occur.
>
> I don't think that they are caused by an hardware problem on my computer, because
> it runs absolutely fine in debian wheezy and osX.

The machine might not be as heavily used on OSX and Wheezy as it is on sid.

> Has anyone a clue to help me to track down the cause of these so that I can file a bug ?

Try running the machine with different kernels because that's the only possible origin
of such an issue.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz