Re: Booting Debian 10 on powernv POWER9 machine

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 02:57:12PM -0300, Gustavo Romero wrote:
> Sorry, I wrote my note super hastily and forgot to mention that I was wondering
> about BE specifically. Currently I see kernel 4.16 is used by the installer and
> I get a panic regarding a VMX Unavailable Exception on POWER9 powernv (both
> baremetal / OPAL and qemu emulated), so I'm wondering if anybody else is
> catching that panic too etc. I know BE support for PPC64 was dropped officially
> by I understand buildd builders are still building it so there are fresh
> packages out there.
>
> Thanks for replying and for the comments!

I don't believe 64 bit powerpc big endian was ever officially released
by Debian.  32 bit was but was dropped some time ago.

64 bit little endian on the other hand is supported.

I only ever ran 32 bit powerpc with 64 bit kernel on power6 and power7.
I have never tried ppc64 and haven't had the hardware to try ppc64le.

I see 4.19 based installer images at
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/debian-installer/ which might
work better.  4.16 kernel is dead and I see a recent bit of fixes related
to vmx in newer kernels which might have entered 4.19 stable updates.
After all current stable release is 4.19 based.

--
Len Sorensen