Re: Performing installer tests on PowerMac with USB sticks

Hi Adrian,

Hello!

I have dug out one of my iBook G4s now so I can perform installer tests
on the PowerMac target. While the machine has a built-in optical drive,
I would avoid having to burn CDs for every installation test run (even
when using CD-RWs), so I was wondering how well booting from USB sticks
works on these machines.

Does anyone have experience creating bootable USB media for PowerMacs
to install Debian?

IIRC "aggaz" used a USB stick to boot his G5, see [1]. Seems like one
can just `dd` the ISO to the USB stick and it works with `boot
<DEVICE_ALIAS>:,\install\yaboot` or sometimes also with `boot
<DEVICE_ALIAS>:,\\:tbxi` - if USB boot is supported by the machine.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2019/04/msg00070.html

Maybe you first start by attaching the USB stick to the machine and boot
into OF, to see if a new device alias gets created for it.

Cheers,
Frank