Re: debian-10.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso from 18 May 2018

On 4/5/19 2:56 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 4/5/19 8:06 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> Right .. I found an older email post by John Paul Adrian Glaubitz which
>> clarified that for me.  However that doesn't work as a gpg key is needed
>> which can be handled due to the fact that gpg does not exist in the
>> system.
>
> It's more likely that the GPG has simply expired because you're using an
> old image. Is there any reason you're not using the current image?

I am trying a re-install now from the netinst image I have. Which is not
very old. From just last year. It is a broken process. The debian mirror
can not be selected nor entered manually.

Also on the console (tty from hitting F4 key) is where I see that the
installer doesn't even go after the correct release name. The url that
it seems to think we need has "buster" in it. So that is wrong also.

I did try the basic installer but it doesn't work because networking is
not setup correctly. It attempts DHCP and then does nothing when there
is not a DHCP server handy. There is no method to set a static ip other
than to open a tty session and manually do so with ip commands. I do
that and the network config is lost to the installer and on first boot I
have to manually setup things again. Regardless the mirror for packages
is still wrong from the installer. Maybe there is a way to just scrap
all this and start over with a more up to day ( yesterday? ) netinst
image. It is worth at least trying.

Dennis

PS: I have to "shave the yak" to install Debian on ppc64.

https://seths.blog/2005/03/dont_shave_that/