Re: Testing Debian install in AQUEMU

Hi David,

On 4/15/19 19:29, David VANTYGHEM wrote:

> Le 14/04/2019 à 23:35, Frank Scheiner a écrit :
>> Hi David,
>>
>> On 4/14/19 22:55, David VANTYGHEM wrote:
>>> I've got this error :
>>>
>>> https://framapic.org/VlzE2HdYGj1h/34Y0Cd8rQUkB.png
>>>
>>> https://framapic.org/Xo8dvME9qnMX/xPNVqm6HIrI0.png
>>
>> Something's wrong here. The disk device (and not a partition) is used as
>> HFS bootstrap (partition) and formatted.
>>
>> How was the partitioning layout created and what layout was actually
>> used?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Frank
>

> The partition layout : https://framapic.org/IKcPY4qKSnjE/hUZQYVRrwD3j.png
>
> I choosed the default options : "Whole disk" and "One partition".

Better use something like `cat /proc/partitions` to show the layout.
`df` only shows mounted file systems.

I did my own testing with `qemu-system-ppc` on Monday and the
partitioning was done correctly for me. But I also found out that
`grub-install` cannot successfully run inside `qemu-system-ppc`, as the
internal call to `nvsetenv` - to set the NVRAM variable `boot-device -
fails. As I didn't yet found a working solution to run an
installationunder QEMU with a non-graphical console, I'll also post a
picture:

https://i.imgur.com/HLCRvbO.jpg

The installation was done with the 2019-04-15 ISO image in normal mode
and the picture shows the result of a manual invocation of the
`grub-install` command line as used by the installer (with `-v` added).

Because of the failing `nvsetenv`, `grub-install` exits with `1`. But up
to that point all GRUB parts are actually already installed and work
(you can e.g. boot it with `boot hd:2,\grub` with a single disk
configuration using automatic partitioning), just the
`/boot/grub/grub.cfg` is missing - so you have to supply the kernel and
initramfs keywords manually on the GRUB prompt to boot - and a working
value for `boot-device` (you can use the above one for example).

Maybe a call to `update-grub` when chrooted to the target FS could
create the missing `grub.cfg`, but I didn't test this as I was out of time.

Cheers,
Frank