Re: PPC64 Illegal Instruction

Hi Noah!

On 3/2/19 11:48 PM, Noah Wolfe wrote:
> I just wanted to alert you that VLC, Audacity, Audacious, and many other applications, do not start when launched from a graphical menu, and immediately give out "Illegal instruction" when launched via Terminal in PPC64, thus rendering the PPC64 installation unable to use a great number of crucial applications. I have not seen this problem in the regular powerpc install.

What particular hardware are you running the ppc64 install on?

There are different types of ppc64 CPUs and some of them don't support AltiVec,
for example.

All the applications you mentioned are multimedia instructions, so it might just
be ffmpeg/libavcodec which is causing your troubles.

> PS: I hope your house move is going well.

Thanks! I'm done moving, but my new place looks very chaotic now with all the
boxes piling up. So it'll take some time to settle.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz