Re: PPC64 Image Installation Error

Hello!

On 2/2/19 1:32 AM, Noah Wolfe wrote:
> After reinstalling the system due to an unresolvable networking error (A perfectly stable connection would drop without reason, something that did not happen in Ubuntu 16.04, at least after network-manager was installed. The only fix was to deactivate and reactivate the wired connection in nmtui, which itself as a part of network-manager had to be manually downloaded from another OS in individual package format as it did not come out of the box.)

This could be a kernel bug, a bug in network-manager or flawky hardware. Without
any more detailed data, is hard to figure out what the problem is.

> it seems I am not able to fully boot into it via the yaboot from Ubuntu 16.04, which works well and recognizes both systems without any problems, boots into either without issue, but then Debian throws a BusyBox initramfs terminal halfway through booting, citing: "Gave up waiting for root device.", "Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)", "ALERT!

Well, yes, Yaboot. As I said, I want to get rid of it. GRUB has the advantage here that
it's much easier to edit the command line and configuration files as compared to Yaboot.

Your problem sounds like the root device passed on the kernel command line with "root="
is wrong.

/dev/disk/by-uuid/<long string of numbers> does not exist. Dropping to a shell!". Absolutely everything is partitioned and configured exactly the same as before, when I had it
> working. The only thing different, however, is perhaps having chosen the option to install LXQt in favor of GNOME, which was the environment installed when it was able to boot without issue.

Your desktop environment is unrelated to such boot issues.

> The same blockage occurs when LXDE is chosen, as well. I wish it would allow you to install your system without needing to choose a desktop environment, which just lengthens installation time by a great amount.

Huh? You can just install "Standard system utilities" and that's it. You don't have
to install a desktop at all.

> From my experiences alone in the last few days, the ppc64 versions /really/ put the "unstable" in "Sid".

That's a rather generalizing statement. The ppc64 stuff is actually known to be pretty
stable because ppc64 support in the kernel and the toolchain (compiler, linker etc) is
still actively maintained by IBM.

Once we have GRUB in place, your bootloader problems will go away. Your display problems
might be related to a buggy driver. I would try using a different driver but I can't
make any recommendations unless we know your exact hardware specs.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz