Re: Is there an install method for buster/sid on an old PowerMac G5 ?

On 1/13/19 6:37 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On Jan 14, 2019, at 12:29 AM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:
On 1/13/19 4:55 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 1/13/19 10:48 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
Trying to locate a mirror and I see :

~ # tail /var/log/syslog
Jan 13 21:44:29 anna-install: Installing apt-mirror-setup
Jan 13 21:45:12 choose-mirror[4695]: DEBUG: command: wget --no-verbose http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/dists/testing/Release -O - | grep -E '^(Suite|Codename|Architectures):'
Jan 13 21:45:12 choose-mirror[4695]: WARNING **: mirror does not support the specified release (testing)

comment : I'll happily search the installer code and find
           where 'testing' is hard coded. Easy enough.

Which happens when you use the expert mode installation.
Please use the default installation method, anything else is untested.
We don't have many people helping with finding and fixing these issues,
so progress is slow. Anything fancy should be used on the release architectures
only.
Adrian

I just tried the default installer and the result upon reboot was that
the boot loader complained about a corrupt filesystem.

Yes. Because Yaboot doesn’t like modern ext4 filesystem features. You need to use ext3 for the boot partition.

This is why we are replacing Yaboot with GRUB.

Ah yes ... this all seems familiar to me now.
OKay .. going to try again and perhaps with a separate ext2fs /boot if
possible.  Not sure.  The Apple PowerMac G5 units want a strange
partition table with an Apple boot slice and I can not recall what else.

Dennis