Re: nvram / boing startup sound / mac mini g4

On 1/8/19 6:32 PM, Finn Thain wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

Hi there,

Has anyone tried to remove the annoying boing startup ound on a Mac
Mini G4 system. I have deleted the macosx partition on this machine.

Thanks,

The ROM makes the chime sound to indicate successful POST. There's a
different chime for a hardware failure.

I don't know whether it's possible to silence these sounds on your
hardware, but a web search tells me that on Mactel hardware you can do so
(in Mac OS X) with
$ sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80

See also "nvram -p" etc.

It's possible to edit the NVRAM in Linux too. However, you'd probably need
to dual boot in order to find out exactly what effect the above command
has on the contents of /dev/nvram as seen from Linux.

Can I install a Sam Kinison scream at boot?

I seem to recall doing something similar with a Mac Quadro a long long
time ago ... always a joy in the office.

dc