Re: Error trying to update powerpc64 Jessie machine.

Hi Rick,

On 06/28/2018 09:05 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
Hi!

For the last couple of days, my PowerPC64 machine, running Debian Jessie, has been getting this error message when I try to do “apt update”:

W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/jessie/updates/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-powerpc/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
> [...]

Does anybody know why?  It was working fine until a couple of days ago…

IIC this is due to Debian Jessie no longer supported on PowerPC. As Debian Stretch (aka stable currently) was already released a year ago, support for Debian Jessie (aka oldstable currently) is now (from June 17th 2018 on to be exact) only provided for i386, amd64, armel and armhf until end of June 2020 as per [1].

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

Cheers,
Frank