Re: Removal of POWER4 support

Hi,

We still have ibm p630 PPC4+ model 6E4 in good working order.
Not big an not hungry.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/POWER5/iphc5/p630_6c4_6e4.htm

On 2018.04.09. 02:06, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Sun, 2018-04-08 at 09:59 +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hi Michael!

I was just pointed at your pull request to remove POWER4 support from the
kernel and I'm stumped. POWER4 is something that people are still actively
using.

I'm not aware of any breakage you are mentioning, we have multiple machines
running 4.15 kernels on older PPC64 machines without any issues.

Please keep in mind that IBM isn't the sole manufacturer of POWER machines
but there are also people running PPC64 Linux on embedded PPC64 machines
with Freescale CPUs for example.

We aren't dropping support for any Freescale CPUs (BookE). Are you
really aware of anybody using a POWER4 though ? Those were huge
machines using a lot of electricity for little processing power by
today standards...

Note: We aren't removing 970 (aka G5) support, only server POWER4.

Cheers,
Ben.