Re: initrd fails load with "ERROR: claim of 0xfe49172 in range 0x1340000-0x10000000 failed"

Hi Dennis,

On 03/04/2018 04:11 AM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
I had to take a picture of the screen but really it seems to say that my
new initrd will not load into memory for some reason. Perhaps too darn
big? This is an old yet well loved PowerMac G5 and I am wondering if
there is an nvram or maybe an openfirmware command magic incantation to
utter?  I have 8G of memory and surely no reason to not load in a very
large initrd image?

How large are your initrds (for 4.13.x and 4.15.x) currently? I upgraded yaboot from 1.3.16 to 1.3.17 just now on my Mac mini G4 (w/Debian version of Linux 4.15.4) and tested with an 18 MiB (18366537 Bytes) sized initrd without an issue.

Unfortunately I don't have a G5 at hand that still uses yaboot.

You could first check if your initrd gets (considerably) smaller when configuring "Modules=dep" in `/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf` and rebuilding it and then try with the resulting initrd.

Or if that doesn't help, you can also limit the modules included into your initrd with `/etc/initramfs-tools/modules` and make sure that "MODULES=list" is configured in `/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf`.

To get the list of "needed" modules, you can boot with Linux 4.13.x and collect the list of modules from `lsmod` output. You only need the modules really required to access your root file system.

Before issuing `update-initramfs [...]` for both alternatives check that no file in `/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d` reconfigures "MODULES=" as configurations in these files have precedence over configurations in `/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf`.

Cheers,
Frank