Re: PPC64: gcc currently compiles for power4 by default, causing glibc's sqrtf to fail on e6500

On 02/09/2018 11:30 AM, Bas Vermeulen wrote:
mator on #debian-ports compiled gcc-7 for me with the attached patch.
With the resulting gcc, I compiled glibc and got a library I can use
sqrtf without running into an illegal instruction exception.

Would it be possible to get this applied by default? The resulting
binaries work on e6500, and ought to work on all supported CPUs
for the ppc64 port.

This is something that needs to be discussed. A single user alone shouldn't
warrant such major change in a port. You always have to keep in mind that
changing the default compiler options also has potential impact on the
performance on more modern ppc64 systems like Apple Macintosh.

So, while I'm generally not against such a change, I would like to hear
some voices first.

Thanks,
Adrian

--