Re: G3 safe grub test

Hi Riccardo,

On 10/13/2017 02:05 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hi,

after all this discussion about yaboot vs. grub and people having reported issues on older macs, I can offer my take. I have a G3 PowerPC iBook? I really do not want to reinstall everything, it takes time to setup this machine.

What Debian version have you installed currently?

I booted a B&W G3 with GRUB from Debian Sid fine (see [1]), I only later had problems with the FS, but I'm unsure if they were due to the G3's bugged ATA controller or already existing FS errors. Hence I assume it should also work for your G3 iBook.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/10/msg00006.html

I am using yaboot and everything works fine, very nice machine I do love. I would be willing to test GRUB to see if my machine works, as I hope.
I wonder if there is a safe way to try out given my setup?

If you just want to find out if GRUB works for your G3 iBook you can follow the next steps:

Do you have another G3 or better a fast G4 machine? Then you can install Debian Jessie on it and upgrade to Sid and then build a GRUB image (see [2] for a manual installation where you have full control of all steps; make sure to remove the `serial_ieee1275/scca` parts, these were used to make use of the Xserve G4's serial console; also adapt the settings in the GRUB configs, as your root FS containing `/boot` is on a different partition than during my case: "apple3" => "apple4" and "/dev/sda3" => /dev/sda4" I assume) and copy it over to the HFS partition (NewWorld boot partition) on your G3 iBook - you can simply mount it and then use `cp`. You can boot the GRUB image from OF with `boot hd:2,grub.img`.

[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/10/msg00005.html

Please tell me how to and if in case of test there is a safe way of getting back to yaboot.

The described method doesn't change anything for yaboot, it should still boot automatically afterwards.

I'm not attached to yaboot, actually a grub, on x86, proves to be easier since it can have several old kernels, while yaboot is harder with that.

Do I need to resize my partitions? can I safely?

During my tests, the produced GRUB image fitted on a small 800 KB HFS partition together with yaboot only just, so should also work for your case (with 1 MB HFS part.) without resizing.

Cheers,
Frank