Re: PowerPC sid installation

On Oct 7, 2017, at 2:03 AM, richard.kuenz <richard.kuenz@web.de> wrote:

> I am getting this error now with squeeze after yesterday installation succeeded after some hiccups
    . . .
> <20171007_110203_resized.jpg>

When you installed, did you create an ext2 partition for /boot?  If I’m understanding the error message in your screenshot correctly it looks like you took the default partition setup.  Unfortunately, that setup puts the linux kernel and initrd in the root partition, which is ext4.

Yaboot has trouble with some newer features of ext4 partitions.  For a while those new features were disabled on powerpc machines as a temporary workaround for this problem.  But it looks like that disablement is not in the installer you are using.

My solution to that is to choose the “with LVM” partitioning scheme.   This creates a small ext2 partition to be mounted on /boot and points yaboot at it rather than at the root ext4 partition. This /boot partition holds the vmlinux and initrd stuff.  If you don’t like LVM, you can choose manual partitioning and set it up any way you want as long as you put the kernel and initrd in an ext2 partition.

Hope that helps!
Rick