Re: PowerPC sid installation

On Oct 6, 2017, at 12:02 PM, Richard Kuenz <richard.kuenz@web.de> wrote:

> Dear Rick,
>
> thank you , but i cannot help myself thinking that booting from CD or NETINST is more diffiult than from DVD;
> i had multiple times installed on G5 mac or g4 powerbook from a DVD alongside a Mac OS installation with no problem;
>
> this powermac g4 has only CD Drive, and booting from external Firewire DVD seems very difficult,
>
> so i downloaded several images, both NETINST (Wheezy, Jessie , SID) and CD Images;
> after sorting out the problem with CD Media of low quality,
> i finally could boot Adrian-s effort SidImage and it installed, with Automatic Partition on one Harddrive, alsonside Tiger,
>
> but at Reboot, it would not recognized Yaboot;
> then i installed Wheezy 7.11 from CD Image (CD1) and let the installer update the rest;
> again it would not boot after succeusful installation
>
> same with Netinst;
>
> so i presume, i made an error with the automatic partitioning;
> i don't know, there are 2 HFS partitions, one with OS , one blank,
> and a 3 section for Linux debian;
>
> Now i am trying Squeeze, maybe better luck with that;

Let me make sure I’ve got your situation correctly — please fill in any details I’m missing:

1) You have a G4 powerbook currently running MacOS-X Tiger.

2) You want it to dual boot Lion and Debian.

3) You don’t care too much which version of Debian, as long as it works and you can also boot to Tiger when you want to.

4) You have good backups of your Lion installation so you can re-install it if something goes wrong with the Debian installation.

5) Your powerbook G4 has a CD drive, but it does not read DVDs.

Please correct any errors in the above.  After that, we’ll proceed to what you have tried and what the results were.

Enjoy!
Rick