Re: Firefox 51.0.1-1 on Debian Sid/experimental PowerPC (PPC32): Segmentation fault

On 02/13/2017 08:26 PM, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
>> Yes. Everyone who is basing their work on Firefox will have to move
>> to a different
>> codebase from version 53 on or fork Firefox and continue without
>> Rust.
>
> Or, fix Rust for powerpc?

I don't know whether you have already dealt with the internals of
compilers in the past, but I can tell you that it isn't a matter of
just "fixing" it. For it to work, someone actually has to maintain
the codebase for this target. Because as the code is being developed,
it will break again and again unless someone actually tests the code
on these architectures.

The problem is that - unlike Golang - no one outside Mozilla cares seriously
enough about Rust that they would maintain it on other architectures. For
Google's Golang, the architecture ports are maintained by the hardware
vendors themselves. For example, IBM maintains Golang on POWER (ppc64el
and ppc64 and zSeries, Google (being a big ARM supporter because of Android)
themselves maintain Golang on ARM, Oracle on sparc64 and so on.

For Rust, there is currently no such support. Mozilla develops and tests
on x86 only. Everything else is not guaranteed to work at all and may
blow up in your face.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz