Re: G3 safe grub test

Hi Frank,

Frank Scheiner wrote:
What Debian version have you installed currently?

it says buster/sid in debian_version

I am running kernel 4.13.0-1-powerpc and it is quite stable, I have no particular issues with the filesystem, ATA, wireless or X11 (that is no "new" issues, there are of course limitations with the WiFi card, the aging mach64 driver and such, but they aren't relevant here I suppose).

I booted a B&W G3 with GRUB from Debian Sid fine (see [1]), I only later had problems with the FS, but I'm unsure if they were due to the G3's bugged ATA controller or already existing FS errors. Hence I assume it should also work for your G3 iBook.

[1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/10/msg00006.html

That sounds promising then. I am interested to test it to see if Adrians work would work in the future also for my laptop. Also, yaboot is quite limited with the booting of older kernels, while I hope grub is more flexible.

Do you have another G3 or better a fast G4 machine? Then you can install Debian Jessie on it and upgrade to Sid and then build a GRUB image (see [2] for a manual installation where you have full control of all steps; make sure to remove the `serial_ieee1275/scca` parts, these were used to make use of the Xserve G4's serial console; also adapt the settings in the GRUB configs, as your root FS containing `/boot` is on a different partition than during my case: "apple3" => "apple4" and "/dev/sda3" => /dev/sda4" I assume) and copy it over to the HFS partition (NewWorld boot partition) on your G3 iBook - you can simply mount it and then use `cp`. You can boot the GRUB image from OF with `boot hd:2,grub.img`.

No, I only have this laptop as a working PPC machine currently.

The described method doesn't change anything for yaboot, it should still boot automatically afterwards.

During my tests, the produced GRUB image fitted on a small 800 KB HFS partition together with yaboot only just, so should also work for your case (with 1 MB HFS part.) without resizing.

This sounds promising too, that I do not need to resize partitions.

Do you think I may just install it perhaps?
I suppose the most dangerous way would be to "remove" yaboot and install grub for OF. If it works I could risk it, but a "fix" may need to boot from a CD, chroot and do other tricks, right? I think to remember that booting from USB is not supported on my iBook.

Riccardo

PS: in case, could be partitions be live-resized without formatting?