Re: PowerPC sid installation

Hi Richard.

You definitely need to install more RAM if you plan to use the machine for web browsing and other GUI-based tasks.  2GB would be just about minimum for a modern OS like Wheezy or Jessie.  Even with that, I’d make sure to specify a lightweight desktop, like Mate or Xfce.

Given that you’re planning to upgrade RAM, you should probably consider updating the OS to Jessie — just so you’re getting the latest security updates.  Wheezy, being older, is lower on the priority list for getting needed security patches.

I seem to remember that you have a G4 PowerBook and a G5 PowerMac (big aluminum case with lots of holes for airflow) and the PowerMac only has 512MB RAM.

If we’re talking about the G4 PowerBook, then Jessie will be just fine, as long as you have enough RAM.

If we’re talking about the G5 PowerMac, my experience is that you need a specially patched kernel to use it with a graphical user interface — adding RAM doesn’t help because the problem is that the Graphics card uses a feature of the G5 memory interface (“huge” pages) that the kernel doesn’t support (or vice versa, my memory is hazy).  As I said, I gave up and found non-graphical applications for my G5 Macs.

Hope this helps!
Rick