Re: [PPC64] Partman doesn't recognize our partitions

On 10/06/2017 02:02 PM, Christian Zigotzky wrote:
> First, many thanks for the new CD images. I tried to install Debian 9/Sid with
> the PPC64 ISO [1] on my Varisys Nemo board (A-EON AmigaOne X1000) [2] last week.

Ok.

> Unfortunately partman doesn't recognize my partitions. I have some SSDs with RDB
> and MBR partition tables in my X1000. Casey has the same issue on his Varisys
> Cyrus Plus board (A-EON AmigaOne X5000) [3][4].

Can you please elaborate a bit what you mean when you say partman is not recognizing
partitions? What exactly do you see? Does partman list your hard disk at all? Do
you see the partitions when you switch to a shell and list the partitions with

	cat /proc/partitions

?

> He has also SSD drives in his X5000. He was able to install it without installed
> SSDs. Maybe partman doesn't recognize partitions on SSDs.
No, that doesn't make sense. partman doesn't know about the underlying physical
drive, this is all abstracted away by the Linux kernel. parted/partman just get
a block device which can even be a file or a virtual disk etc.

My guess is that Debian stock kernel doesn't support the SATA/IDE hardware on
your mainboard, either because the kernel is missing the drivers or we haven't
enabled the drivers or included them in debian-installer.

Can you please capture the output of "lspci" and "dmesg" and attach them as
files in your mail? Then I can verify whether your particular hardware is
currently supported or not and what would be necessary to support it.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz