Re: powerpc (32-bit) Debian installer media

On Oct 6, 2017, at 2:46 AM, Richard Kuenz <richard.kuenz@web.de> wrote:

> Question:
>
> if i install Wheezy on Powermac G4,
> can i then update to Stretch?
> Or do i need to install Stretch from Netinstall to succeed?
> Where could i download such image?
>

> Thank you

Hi Richard,

The G4 (32-bit powerpc) sub-architecture is not supported any more (even in ports, as far as I can tell) in Debian Stretch.  The last release to support Mac G4 is Jessie, also called “oldstable”.

You can download Jessie install media from
    https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/archive/8.9.0/powerpc/

If you already have a running Wheezy system on your G4, you can upgrade to Jessie in the usual way.  It’s not necessary to do a full clean install.

Hope that helps!
Rick