Re: Updated installer images

Hi!

Can you please *not* post to debian-ports@l.d.o. As I said, this
posts to all ports mailing lists. I just received your mail four
times.

On 09/10/2017 09:12 PM, Christoph Biedl wrote:
>> Please test and report back on the individual architecture
>> mailing lists
>
> So far, the ride for ppc64 has been *extremely* painful. This is not
> necessarly due to your efforts, but it feels a lot like nobody ever has
> tried to set up Debian on a G5 using netboot.

I did not explicitly provide any netboot images. Did you use the netboot
images created on the buildds?

> So far (might be incomplete, and I'm both tired and fairly upset):

You are upset? I don't understand. You should be aware that things
need people to work on in order to work. If the current state annoys
you, please step up and help. Just venting on the mailing list doesn't
help at all.

> * Any reasonable documentation on this anywhere? No about how to set up
>   DHCP/TFTP server, I've done this many time. But what about which files
>   are needed, and how to provide a netboot-adjusted yaboot.conf, and
>   mostly: How to make yaboot make using it?

No idea. Our focus is currently on the CD-ROM installer.

> * yaboot should either get a decent on-line help or see bitrot.

yaboot is most likely going to be replaced with GRUB in the foreseeable
future as GRUB is able to run on OpenFirmware machines as well and
yaboot is dead upstream as far as I know.

> * After a lot of trickery, the installer's vmlinux now gets loaded. At a
>   whopping 6 kbyte/sec (yes: six kilobytes). Just to remind you, kernel
>   and initrd take some 35 megabytes, and the G5 has already turned to
>   airplane mode. My neighbors will love me.
>
> This isn't getting anywhere useful soon.

So, having working ppc64 CD-ROM installation images is not useful?

Wow, thanks for the compliment! That's definitely one way to
acknowledge the work of others. Thanks a lot!

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz