Problems with Fan - full Speed - Debian Wheezy Powermac G5

Hello ,

i have installed Debian Wheezy on a Powermac G5 Quad.
Unfortunately the Fans do Full Spin quite all the time.

Could someone please indicate me a solution?

Fan/Thermal Control

This problem is solved in the latest builds of Debian Etch and will be sorted by the time Debian 4.0 is released.

Fans will rev to full speed without proper control. This isn't dangerous to your system - but it sure is annoying! In the meantime,the fan issue is solved simply through loading up the correct fan modules and forcing them to load on startup every time. In the terminal:

{{{sudo -s apt-get install powernowd cd /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/macintosh (ls | cut -d. -f1 | xargs -n1 modprobe) 2>/dev/null lsmod | cut -d" " -f1 | grep windfarm >> /etc/modules exit}}}

Done! Fans should slow down immediately and these modules will now load automatically for you every time you start up your system

Thank you very much,

Richard

On 18.06.2017 00:32, Matti Palmström wrote:
 > This image will not work on your Macintosh G5, unfortunately. ppc64el
is a new
ppc64 port by IBM which is incompatible with old hardware.

Ooh... I guess was confused because
https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/#ppc64el says "Here you can find
information about the 64-bit PowerPC Little Endian architecture" and
links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ppc64 which made it look like
PowerPC 970* was little endian too.

Thanks for the help, now I have the installer going.

Regards
/M

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 12:02 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de <mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>> wrote:

    Hi Matti!

    On 06/17/2017 11:54 PM, Matti Palmström wrote:
    > I have an iMac G5 iSight with a 64-bit PowerPC 970fx that I try to install Stretch to. I have
    > downloaded debian-stretch-DI-rc5-ppc64el-netinst.iso and burned it to a cd and dd'ed it to a usb stick.

    This image will not work on your Macintosh G5, unfortunately.
    ppc64el is a new
    ppc64 port by IBM which is incompatible with old hardware.

    Luckily, there is still a way to install Debian on your machine. You
    can download
    a CD image for Debian sid by following the link below:

    http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/*zip*/workspace.zip
    <http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/*zip*/workspace.zip>

    Unzipping this file should give you an ISO image which you can burn
    to a CD and use
    to install your G5 with Debian for powerpc. This will give you a
    64-bit kernel (ppc64)
    and a 32-bit userland (powerpc).

    We will be providing full 64-bit ppc64 installation media in the
    future which will
    have both a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit userland but work on that
    hasn't finished
    yet, unfortunately.

    Cheers,
    Adrian