Re: Fail to install stretch to iMac G5

Hi Matti!

On 06/17/2017 11:54 PM, Matti Palmström wrote:
> I have an iMac G5 iSight with a 64-bit PowerPC 970fx that I try to install Stretch to. I have
> downloaded debian-stretch-DI-rc5-ppc64el-netinst.iso and burned it to a cd and dd'ed it to a usb stick.

This image will not work on your Macintosh G5, unfortunately. ppc64el is a new
ppc64 port by IBM which is incompatible with old hardware.

Luckily, there is still a way to install Debian on your machine. You can download
a CD image for Debian sid by following the link below:

> http://jenkins.kfreebsd.eu/jenkins/view/cd/job/debian-cd_sid_powerpc/ws/*zip*/workspace.zip

Unzipping this file should give you an ISO image which you can burn to a CD and use
to install your G5 with Debian for powerpc. This will give you a 64-bit kernel (ppc64)
and a 32-bit userland (powerpc).

We will be providing full 64-bit ppc64 installation media in the future which will
have both a 64-bit kernel and a 64-bit userland but work on that hasn't finished
yet, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Adrian

--