Re: A few questions about stretch ( testing ) on a PowerMac G5

On 02/05/2017 05:05 AM, Kristen R wrote:
On Feb 4, 2017, at 7:34 PM, dev_user <dev@cor0.com> wrote:

As for the DNS, do not edit /etc/resovl.conf as that is system
generated. Edit instead the /etc/network/interfaces file and
list your DNS entries there. After this stop networking, and
restart (or reboot) and the /etc/resolv.conf will reflect your
new entries.

hrmmm ... that didn't work for some reason :

root@charon:~# uname -a
Linux charon 3.16.0-4-powerpc64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1 (2016-12-30) ppc64 GNU/Linux
root@charon:~#
root@charon:~# cat /etc/debian_version
8.7

root@charon:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0

iface eth0 inet static
address 172.16.35.25
netmask 255.255.255.192
network 172.16.35.0
broadcast 172.16.35.63
gateway 172.16.35.1
dns-nameservers 224.154.123.123
root@charon:~#

did a reboot and whammo .. the /etc/resolv.conf file is still borked

root@charon:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125:5204
nameserver 2607:f798:18:10:0:640:7125:5198
root@charon:~#

No darn clue .. why ?

Dennis

Dennis,

For one thing, your DNS name server is a Multicast IP.

It is a dummy .. sorry .. there is a very real dns server running
iscbind in the datacenter and it works great .. however I can not use
it because something keeps wrecking my resolv.conf over and over and
over.

dns-nameservers NSip1 NSip2.

I have precisely that and the ip of the dns nameserver in the company
datacenter is there and dig @theipaddr foo.com  works like a charm.
From some other machine.

Or $ man resolv.conf to understand this file.

I know that file back to front. I have never seen gremlins chase after
me and wreck it moments after I edit it. I almost feel like running
some sort of trace to find the process that is mangling my resolv.conf
and killing it forever. Seriously ... this is madness. The resolv.conf
file is just a file. A file. Nothing else. Just a file and it should
always be just a text file that once it has been edited it stays put.
But no ... the thing gets wrecked by a gremlin instantly after I try to
fix it.

Also .. my /etc/network/interfaces file is trivial :

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0

iface eth0 inet static
 address 172.16.35.25
 netmask 255.255.255.192
 network 172.16.35.0
 broadcast 172.16.35.63
 gateway 172.16.35.1
 dns-nameservers xxx.yyy.zzz.ddd

I assure you that the ip address of the iscbind name server is perfectly correct and I just didn't want to publish it on a mail list.

So .. here I am now with the resolvconf pkg installed and that is
insane drug induced madness. The resolv.conf file should be just a file
that hold ascii and edited by vi and that is all that is ever needed
ever. Something truely obscene is happening on this machine.

dc

ps: sorry for the rant but I can't get rid of ipv6 either