Re: Moving powerpc to Debian Ports

Hi Aurelien!

On 11/01/2016 09:00 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>> Since Debian powerpc was recently announced to be removed as a release architecture,
>> I would like to formally request to move the port to Debian Ports as there still seems
>> to be quite some demand among users [1].
>
> As stated in the announcement from debian-release, this doesn't mean
> that powerpc is going to be removed from the debian archive. I wonder if
> it is a good idea to rush on that, especially given that you have been
> the one complaining regularly that mini-dak is not so good as dak.

Well, frankly, I'm not sure I'm very confident that this promise will
be held up. Both ia64 and sparc were release architectures in Wheezy,
dropped in Jessie and consequently removed both from the FTP servers
and the buildd infrastructure despite being popular according to
popcon.

I just want to spare the powerpc port from the same fate and I rather
have powerpc in Debian Ports than being removed altogether. Yes,
Mini-Dak is worse than Dak and the lack of access to projectb doesn't
make things for Ports architectures easier either.

Don't get me wrong, if it was up to me, we'd use Dak and the main FTP
servers for all architectures and just define architecture support by
tiers analog to what FreeBSD or NetBSD do, for example. I never understood
why we have to separate the infrastructure for the architectures, just
declare release architectures as Tier-I and the unsupported ports
as Tier-II.

However, since Debian has decided release and ports architectures
that way and powerpc is officially no longer a release architecture,
I think it's best to move it over to ports and give it into the
hands of us Debian Ports maintainers who have decided to work together
and support each other with the various ports.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz