Re: Release Architectures for Debian 9 'Stretch'

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 11:58:31PM +0100, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 31/10/2016 18:44, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > I am not a DD, or a DM, but I have certainly helped fix problems for
> > powerpc, including in language runtimes for languages I don't use.
> > Unfortunately it seems the upstream for most things don't care much for
> > anything other than x86 and arm these days which makes it harder for
> > other architectures to stay working.
>
> since I am "upstream" for certain software I assure that I do care. Actually
> I am one of the persons who tested GNUstep stuff on PPC. I know of other
> people happily using GNUstep on PPC. To do that, I need a usable operating
> system of course... up to know it was debian. What could it be int he
> future?
> Perhaps not all upstream counts and we don't even need al possible packages
> on PPC. But it is still possible today to have a ncie usable desktop setup.
>
> This Debian decision will make a dim future for PowerPC developers, not just
> users: a chicken-egg problem.
>
> Riccardo

Well, as I understand, the release team decided there is not going to be
a Debian Stretch release for PowerPC. We can still ask the ftp-masters
and DSA to keep powerpc for testing and sid, and we will have to do our
own release. It's harder without all the infrastructure and work the
release team puts into a release. But it's still something we could do.
In the worst case, we can try to publish some install media and use the
debian-ports infrastructure that is going to use a rolling release,
based on sid.

The only powerpc I had until now was a Nintendo Wii, and though there
are patches around that would make D-I usable, I was still playing with
some other hacks before I could try to push for them in Debian proper,
and it was not on my top priority. Too bad I couldn't foresee that if I
got much more involved long before, I could say to the release team I
was already doing porter work. But since I was not, it looked like any
volunteering from my part would have made no difference at all.

However, I just ordered and old iBook G4, and I hope I can at least test
D-I images I could maybe help prepare. Would that help you keep testing
your code on PPC?  :-)

By the way, thanks a lot for helping all these years with the ppc port.
I have watched from a distance, which was a mistake. Hope I can help
with keeping up the port alive somehow.

Best regards.
Cascardo.