Re: ppc64el porter situation

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 01:30:13PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 11:18:39PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > Freescala/NXP is not even on the OpenPOWER member list - this is not the
> > old power.org
>
> Neither is AMCC as far as I can tell.  Doesn't mean they aren't still
> doing powerpc.

Are they developing new powerpc products?

Their latest products are also pretty ARM.

> > For their network processors Freescala/NXP is moving away from PowerPC,
> > and their first ARM based network processors are already on the market.
>
> That's not what they are telling their customers.  They insist they are
> very much behind both arm and powerpc.

Are you talking about new e6500 SoCs, or are you only talking about
support for existing products?

I have no doubt they will continue to provide support for e6500 for
several years, just like they supported SoCs with SPE cpus in their
SDK until December 2015.

They released only two e6500 based SoCs for QorIQ (T2080 and T4240),[1]
and for one of them samples of ARM replacements are already available.

These are anyway big endian, but the general situation is that there
is not much powerpc development left that does not depend on IBM.

> Len Sorensen

cu
Adrian

[1] with T2081/T4160/T4080 variants, plus two in the Qonverge platform

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed