Re: Re: RE: Debian 8 on Late 2005 G5, Graphics Issues

Hello Peter,

First, thank you for all of the work you've put into getting these G5's to run linux. I would not have gotten so far without your work.

I have tried to use your 3.18.16 and 4.5.0-rc2 kernel but I have a problem in both cases: my screen is covered in wiggly, dancing distortion. I am using MATE and can see the desktop behind all the distortion. When I boot up, the display is fine until about 12 seconds after the yaboot prompt. I believe nouveau cannot read my card's vbios (fx5200) and this is causing the display distortion. Once nouveau loads, the monitor flickers, then the distortion starts. Using the stock jessie kernel results in the same distortion, but I cannot see the desktop behind it. The distortion is repeatable.

When checking PCIROM, nouveau reports 'Invalid ROM contents' and then later reports 'unknown input clock frequency'. I suppose that nouveau cannot read the DCB, so it does not know how to use my graphics card? I believe others have had this problem in the past, but I cannot find a work around. If you have any advice, I would be glad to hear it!

Thanks again,

Darren

iMac G5 1.8 Ghz
2g ram