Re: no password on G4

Try holding down the <alt> (also called <option>) key while booting.  That may give you a screen with various options for booting.  One of them may be useful.

I don’t have a Mac Porwebook to try it on, but it works on my G4 desktop machine.

If you can get it to boot from a CD/DVD/USB-stick into the Debian installer, you can then use “rescue” mode to reset the root password.

Hope that helps.
Rick

PS: I realize this is pretty brief — more of a hint than a recipe, and you may need help with some of the details.  Feel free to ask on this list if you do.