Re: Powermac G5 GeForce6600 - DVI and VGA monitors - solution of sorts

On 10/02/16 19:33, Peter Saisanas wrote:
It's been a while since I've played with powerpc - how and where to I append the kernel parameter? Is it in yaboot or elsehwere?
Append the kernel parameters within the /etc/yaboot.conf file
A typical yaboot boot entry with the mentioned appended kernel parameters applied would like like below:

image=/boot/vmlinux-4.5.0-rc2-powerpc64
    label=linux
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-4.5.0-rc2-powerpc64
    append="video=DVI-I-2:D"

Just make sure that as always if any changes are made to /etc/yaboot.conf, you must run the following command afterwards to actually apply the changes to the bootloader:

sudo ybin -v
Thanks Peter

Progress of sorts and a satisfactory outcome so far:

Appending the line as instructed activated the second screen :-) although the graphics aren't great - readable but very fuzzy text and a multicoloured rainbow effect on the desktop background.

However, attaching a VGA monitor with an adaptor gives better graphics on the second screen (which it still sees as DVI-I-2); I had to remove the appended line to get the screen activated - and then it just worked. Although I had "mirror screens" unchecked in xfce settings, it mirrored the screens but I could achieve a contiguous desktop with AR&R (and probably xrandr but I was being lazy).

I'm limited to 1024x768 resolution (on the VGA monitor) which is not great but better than using the DVI monitor.

clive@Pandora:~$ sudo xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2704 x 1050, maximum 4096 x 4096
DVI-I-1 connected primary 1680x1050+1024+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 433mm x 270mm
   1680x1050     59.88*+
DVI-I-2 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768      60.00*
   800x600       60.32    56.25
   848x480       60.00
   640x480       59.94