Re: Debian 8 on Late 2005 G5, Graphics Issues

On 07/02/16 02:32, Brock Wittrock wrote:
I'm in the same boat and unfortunately haven't found the time to sail my way out of it just yet. What I do know is if I boot with an old 3.18 kernel I have, everything works out okay again. I believe it was mentioned already that this could be related to the issue with binutils being used to build the newer kernel you are trying to boot from that came with Stretch.

I downloaded Peter's 4.5.0-rc2 kernel, installed it, and updated my yaboot.conf but still the same issue. But honestly I could have missed something when configuring my system to boot from his newer kernel. Planning to look at that again here this evening and peruse some logs to see what pops out at me.

If nothing else I will re-install Jessie, download and install Peter's 4.5.0-rc2 kernel, and then complete the upgrade to stretch and continue booting from that same kernel. Will post my results when I can.

Thanks Brock

I decided to bite the bullet and do a fresh jessie install; I was thinking of doing the same as you. If I make progress before you, I'll let you know.

Regards

Clive