Re: Using 4KiB page size by default on buildds

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:23:17AM +0200, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 09:02:37AM -0200, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
> > So, my proposal here is that we decide on a default page size for
> > buildds and kernels shipped with Debian, give the option for the
> > different page size for other users, but state there might be breakages
> > when using it.
>
> If a program needs to know about page size, it should query/adopt to it
> runtime, not buildtime.
>
> A.

Sure, that's the long term plan: fixing all software. In the case of
jemalloc, we have identified there is a problem and can start working on
fixing it right away. However, what about all the other hidden bugs we
haven't identified yet?

Even in the case of jemalloc, a quick and dirty fix on Debian sid is
easy. A proper fix acceptable upstream for the old version present in
Jessie that won't impact that much all the other architectures is
another thing.

My point is: I agree with you that we should properly fix the broken
software, I just think that we should have a change now that might
prevent bugs like this from impacting users in the meanwhile.

Cascardo.