Re: PowerPC roadmap for Stretch

Adrian,

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 6:36 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 10/01/2016 02:16 PM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> 3. radeonfb should be able to kick out offb
>>
>> In case (2) above cannot be solved in time. We can also fix the color
>> inversion another way. Technically some PowerMac uses a radeon based
>> graphic card, so we could fix the radeonfb module issue so that it is
>> properly loaded during d-i.
>>
>> So who can help me with:
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/826629 ?
>
> I will do a fresh install of Debian Stretch using the current d-i images tomorrow on my
> Mac Mini G4 to see what I can do. I have previously fixed some issues regarding "radeonfb".
> The primary problem back then was that "radeonfb" left the GPU in a weird state from where
> the "radeon" KMS module could not initialize it.
>
> Problem was that that CONFIG_FB_RADEON was configured with =y instead of =m meaning that
> I had to disable "radeonfb" on the kernel command line using "video:radeonfb=off". This
> is also mentioned on the Ubuntu Wiki [1].

I am glad you mention this ! In fact if you read carefully the
red/blue color inversion, you'll discover this particular message:

I'd appreciate if you could also run the installer with offb:off.

What is happening is that CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y make sure to use radeonfb
(I was not able to find exactly why it skips offb), while
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=m is doing something like this:

1. Try hardware framebuffer: offb
2. Try framebuffer: radeonfb

However step (2) above fails as explained in #826629. Thus I fear
CONFIG_FB_RADEON=m only fixes the *symptoms*. I would really
appreciate if you could confirm that `radeonfb` properly works on your
Mac Mini G4.

-M