Re: Airport gone

Hi,

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016, G 3 wrote:

> > this is my lspci! where is my card? I don't remember if it would show up in
> > lspci, but at least in dmesg!

The original AirPort (used in the G3 iBook (et.al) is not a PCI device I
think, so it should definitely hot show up in lspci (fix me?).

> > Did it fry? did the mad firmware break it?

Unlikely, however i had an iBook G3, and its Airport was a bit
intermittent, so it's possible there is a (fixable) HW problem. Just a
guess.

> > I though resetting OpenFirmware but I wonder if then booting will still
> > work.

You could maybe examine the OF device list from the OF itself, if it's
visible there. Again, just a guess.

> This happens to me so much that I have to keep these directions and the
> firmware file on hand at all times.
>
> This is what fixes things for me:
>
> sudo dpkg -i linux-firmware-nonfree_1.14ubuntu1_all.deb
>
> sudo modprobe -r b43 && sudo modprobe b43
>
> Here is the file:
> http://ftp.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/l/linux-firmware-nonfree/linux-firmware-nonfree_1.14ubuntu1_all.deb

I'm not sure this is helpful.

Isn't the B43 the "Airport Extreme" card? To my knowledge, the G3 iBook
uses the original Airport (maybe it depends on the iBook revision?), which
should use the Lucent/WaveLAN Orinoco chipset, and shouldn't need the
nonfree package, IIRC.

The original Airport is a 16bit PCMCIA device, with Apple-customizations,
while the Airport Extreme is a 32bit PCCard one, therefore the Extreme
indeed shows up in the PCI list, while the original Airport shouldn't.

Cheers,
Charlie