Misc PowerPC News

I've been playing a bit with BTS lately and I have setup powerpc &
ppc64 tags on a few outstanding bugs related to PowerPC arch:

http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?tag=powerpc&user=debian-powerpc%40lists.debian.org
http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?tag=ppc64&user=debian-powerpc%40lists.debian.org

Here is a summary of some outstanding issues that have either been
solved or are being worked on:

1. mono (http://bugs.debian.org/819711)

The issue with mono on PowerPC (and ppc64!) has been found and
reported upstream. I'll keep an eye on the package to check that mono
on PowerPC comes back in Debian.

2. yaboot 1.3.17 (http://bugs.debian.org/819549)

Thanks to Milan Kupcevic we finally have yaboot 1.3.17 in Debian !
There is still an issue with PPC64 build but a patch has been provided
by Lennart Sorensen (http://bugs.debian.org/322540).

3. partman-ext3 (http://bugs.debian.org/825110)

Debian Installer Stretch Alpha 6 release is currently broken as
described in the bug report. But Milan Kupcevic managed to provide a
work around. I've not tested but the daily installer should work, use
it instead.

4. OFfb red / blue color inversion (http://bugs.debian.org/825840)

Currently when using d-i the text based installation display inverted
colors. I am currently tracking down why this is happening and if it
possible to directly fix OFfb. There are alternatives describe in this
bug tracker to fix the symptoms, namely to use radeon(fb) in place of
OFfb. So d-i on PowerPC may not only be suited for color blind people
after all :-)

5. partman-auto (http://bugs.debian.org/610206)

By default yaboot is the bootloader on PowerPC. But there is a secret
option in d-i to install grub-ieee1275 on CHRP IBM machines. I am
trying to make that also an option for NewWorld Mac machines, one
patch at a time.

6. r300: Visuals not found in (default) depth = 24
(http://bugs.debian.org/746272)

Users of the r300 driver needed to use an old patch
(http://wiki.debian.org/PowerPC/FAQ#How_do_I_get_graphics_working.3F)
to get the default depth working. This has now been fixed upstream and
will be part of the next mesa release.

7. No sound on PowerPC with Jessie upgrade (http://bugs.debian.org/714345)

There were actually two different issues that prevented some users to
have sound working. They have both been solved by Wolfram Sang
(http://bugs.debian.org/714345#120 &
http://bugs.debian.org/714345#161). The first one is already in linux
4.5.5, and the last patch has been tagged for stable release in linux.

-M