Re: ppc64 port and multiarch

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 11:13:15AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I am using the ppc64 port with multiarch on a powerpc system
> Unfortunately since the general binNMU of ppc64, it does not
> work anymore for Multi-Arch: same packages.

Unfortunately binNUMs are often breaking multiarch.  I have no idea
if there are any plans to solve the problem somehow.  I think a lot
of packages have been modified to still work if binNMUd, but I haven't
looked into what that involves.

> For example:
>
> % apt-get install libgmp10:ppc64 libgmp10:powerpc
>  libgmp10 : Breaks: libgmp10:ppc64 (!= 2:6.1.0+dfsg-2) but
> 2:6.1.0+dfsg-2+b1 is to be installed
>  libgmp10:ppc64 : Breaks: libgmp10 (!= 2:6.1.0+dfsg-2+b1) but
> 2:6.1.0+dfsg-2 is to be installed
>
> Maybe the ppc64 needs to be rebootstrapped from scratch to avoid
> the this.

I think a lot of the binNMUs are possibly part of that bootstrap process.
Starting from nothing is hard, so you start from something, but then
sometimes you have to bump the versions to make sure the rebuilt package
is the one being used as you go through rebuilding everything.

One option is to rebuild the package yourself without the binNMU tag in
which case you should be able to install it.

I personally would love to see binNMUs banned, but I am just a user
and I only see the pain they cause and really have no idea what useful
purpose they serve (I figure there must be some or they wouldn't bother
with the stupid things).

--
Len Sorensen