Re: d-i: 4.3. Preparing Files for USB Memory Stick Booting

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:16:27PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> Does anyone knows what happen to section:
>>
>> 4.3. Preparing Files for USB Memory Stick Booting
>>
>> in the powerpc install guide ?
>>
>> I see it alright from here:
>>
>> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04.html.en
>
> Well that's x86_64 so totally different thing.
>
>> but not from here:
>>
>> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch04.html.en
>>
>> AFAIK USB booting works from powerpc system (at least some that I tried).
>>
>> Also I see reference to powerpc in the raw XML file:
>>
>> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/d-i/trunk/manual/en/install-methods/boot-usb-files.xml?view=markup
>>
>> Comments ?
>
> You could try to follow the older instructions and it might work:
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/powerpc/ch05s01.html.en
>
> Section 5.1.3 says newworld mac booting from USB.  It has to be done
> manually from openfirmware though, so it is probably the most complicated
> boot method there is.
>
> It also had a warning that it might not work.  Maybe it was removed from
> newer release's documentation for a reason.

That was precisely my point: why did it got removed ? And if so why is
the upstream (raw) XML still referencing the USB boot mechanism for
powerpc ?

> The instructions from Ubuntu might work too:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#How_do_I_boot_from_a_USB_drive.3F

Neat it contains some more extra information I was not aware, thanks !

I did follow:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2012/08/msg00042.html

and it works for me, on a Mac Mini G4 (PPC).

Full steps:

# wget http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.4.0/powerpc/iso-cd/firmware-8.4.0-powerpc-netinst.iso
# wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-powerpc/current/images/powerpc/hd-media/boot.img.gz
# zcat boot.img.gz > /dev/sdb
# sync
[manually eject + plug USB drive again]
# cp firmware-8.4.0-powerpc-netinst.iso /media/mathieu/bootable
drive/shortname.iso

[reboot + press and hold cmd/option/o/f]

> boot usb1/disk@1:2,\\yaboot
[some silly warning that partition cannot be read]
boot: install

done !

The only tricky part was that the name
'firmware-8.4.0-powerpc-netinst.iso' is a bit too long for HFS (AFAIK)
and the file extension was *.si instead of *.iso which is an issue for
the debian installer (hence the need for a shorter name on the USB
disk).

I'll make an installation-reports bug report for stretch and ask for
the documentation clarification from there.

Thanks
-M