Re: Debian 8 on Late 2005 G5, Graphics Issues

On Feb 6, 2016, at 2:11 PM, Peter Saisanas <psaisanas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> In my opinion, the best way to install Debian would be to just install using a Jessie release.
> When installing, ensure you install an SSH server in addition to be able to login via another computer if you happen to have display issues (which you probably will).
>
> I believe the stretch release currently has issues with the included default installed kernel (probably due to the version of binutils it has been built with). So personally I would just install Jessie, then install a kernel perhaps from ones that I have available.
>
> Afterwards you can upgrade to stretch by changing repositories, but just keep booting with the kernel I have provided.
>
> If you happen to still have the nVidia FX5200 installed, I can step through the procedure for you.
>
> Install Jessie and ensure you can ssh in to the G5.
>
> Specifically Install the 4.5.0-rc2 kernel I have configured for you.
> (Actually this kernel config should work for most Powermac G5's (11.2 or 7.3 or 7.2), i.e.  AGP or PCIe with nVidia GPU's with the bare minimum of tinkering required). If all goes well that is!
>
> I have set it up so it should hopefully require NO kernel parameters or tinkering, i.e. fans should automatically work, nouveau should automatically work, sound should automatically work. The required modules that previously needed to be forced to be loaded are built in to the kernel, msi interrupts are disabled in the kernel and kernel is built with 4kB pagesize as currently needed by nouveau.
>
> Link for kernel image (no need to install the kernel headers in your case):
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8pqd5Ots1vfdlNtUFh6dGhiR1U
>
> copy the kernel image deb file to your hdd.
>
> install the kernel using the command:
> sudo dpkg -i linux-image-4.5.0-rc2-powerpc64_2_powerpc.deb
>
> Once installed you need to edit yaboot.conf
>
> Use the following command:
> sudo nano /etc/yaboot.conf
>
> Append the following text exactly as listed at the end of the file:
>
> image=/boot/vmlinux-4.5.0-rc2-powerpc64
>    label=test
>    read-only
>    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-4.5.0-rc2-powerpc64
>    append=""
>
> Save yaboot.conf
>
> Apply yaboot config with following command:
>
> sudo ybin -v
>
> Reboot your G5 and when prompted, ensure you enter "test" for the label in yaboot bootloader.
>
> I have tried to make this as simple as possible.
> Hopefully if all goes well, it should just work without ANY tinkering afterwards!
>
> If any issues or tweaks are required, please let me know and I and others will try our best to help you out!
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Regards,
> Peter

Don't forget:  If you want to boot the 4.5 kernel every time by default, you have to add a line to /etc/yaboot.conf
    default=test
following the line
    enablecdboot

And don’t forget to do
    sudo ybin -v
to apply the new config

Also, if you want to know what kernel is running, you can type
    uname -r

HTH!
Rick