Re: Re: Debian 8 on Late 2005 G5, Graphics Issues

Hi Clive,

Glad you got your G5 up and running!

Regarding my config, currently am running 4.5.0-rc2 kernel, xfce desktop and on Debian stretch (testing) repo's.

As a side note, on the testing repo's, the only package that I personally have noticed that has broken and affected me recently is binutils, i.e. binutils versions currently >2.25-5 are not capable of building kernels correctly (the kernel modules within the initrd seem to not be built correctly). Aside from that you get much newer packages than jessie. Also, Mesa and 3D hardware accel should now work with nouveau and PPC (well it works for me anyway)!

Sid is basically the absolute bleeding edge Debian repo. Not surprised that things break regularly! But if you feel comfortable doing bug reports every now and then and can help contribute to Debian, perhaps the testing repo is more for you (which is for the future stretch release). Of course, the choice is yours!

Now, regarding your issue!
You made me connect a second LCD to my G5 and try out the dual display functionality! :) With the version of xfce currently in stretch (testing repo's), all I had to do was use the built in features of xfce and use the built in control panel in Applications >> Settings >> Display. Ensure that the checkbox is ticked for "Configure new displays when connected". I then logged out of xfce and then logged back in and it just worked. Detected extra screens and allowed me to change the layout as desired.

The version of xfce in jessie is an earlier release with older packages, so it may not be as simple and easy. Fortunately, Brock W. who is on the mailing list has posted a blog on the PowerPC Liberation page which should hopefully do the trick. Note: I believe that this was for LXDE desktop while running jessie. So it may or may not apply for xfce that currently is in jessie.

Link Below:
http://powerpcliberation.blogspot.ca/2015/08/g5-simple-dual-monitor-setup.html

As i mentioned earlier, this might not be required if you are using the xfce version currently in stretch, but as always, YMMV.

Hope it makes sense!

Regards,
Peter