Report on Debian 8 on Late 2005 G5 with custom kernel, Graphics Issues

Thanks Peter!

I’m sure I’ve got the 3.18 kernel.  I confirmed that with “uname -a” after the boot.  Your yaboot stanza looks exactly (in the relevant particulars) like mine.  And, yes, I did “ybin -v” and checked to make sure the output looked right.

The ppdev and parport_pc anomalies have been there all along.  I don’t think they have anything to do with this problem, though.

The only thing I can think of that might be related (and possibly causing the “Invalid ROM” message) is that the base system is Sid, not Jessie.  The default kernel is

> rbthomas@bigal:~$ uname -a
> Linux bigal 4.0.0-2-powerpc64 #1 SMP Debian 4.0.5-1 (2015-06-16) ppc64 GNU/Linux

So there may be remnants of that lying around that confuse the issue when running with your kernel…

Didn’t you mention you had some trouble with the firmware blob in Sid?

I’ll be interested to look at your dmesg and xorg logs.  I’m not getting to anything involving xorg — the black screen happens before I get to the login prompt.  I have /etc/X11/default-display-manager set to “/bin/false" to prevent X from starting up automatically.  When I want to start X, I do a manual “startx” from a text console.

Enjoy!
Rick

PS: I’m planning to install a plain-vanilla, fresh-out-of-the-box, Jessie then add your kernel, and I’ll report back on that.

Re, the FCODE ROM:  Where can I read-up (RTFM, but what FM?) on the nouveau module parameters?

Thanks!