Re: startx goes to black screen with mouse pointer

On Jun 22, 2015, at 7:15 AM, Jonni O'Gorman <jonni.ogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed base system with System Utilities on mac G5 then followed this tutorial to get a simple gui setup
>
> http://ppcluddite.blogspot.ie/2012/03/installing-debian-linux-on-ppc-part-iii.html
>
> I also ran the command
> systemctl set-default multi-user:target
>
> to force login to command line
> and then typed startx but only get a black screen with mouse pointer
>
> any ideas?
>
> uninstalling all then software now any trying MATE instead...

Did mate work for you?  I have the same problem (black screen with a white mouse cursor after running startx) on a MacPro "(PowerMac G5 Dual Core)” — It’s the one with the big aluminum case as described at everymac.com on this web page
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_dual_2.0.html

What model is yours?  Can you find it at everymac.com?

I’ve tried booting with kernel command line argument “nomodeset”.  That gives me something recognizable as a desktop, but the colors are all screwed-up.

I have successfully installed jessie with the same configuration on a G4 (32-bit) PowerPC Mac.  The video works fine on it.

Differences between the G4 and the G5 that seem relevant:

G4:
        32-bit, single CPU
        VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV200 [Radeon 7500/7500 LE]
        radeon video driver software

G5:
        64-bit, dual CPU
        VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 LE] (rev a2)
        nouveau  video driver software

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Rick