Re: PowerMac G5, GeForce FX 5200, black screen

On 05/01/15 02:41, Rick Thomas wrote:
On May 1, 2015, at 1:45 AM, Luigi Burdo <intermediadc@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi Rick but if you run the X do you have right or wrong colors too?
i have a 7800gtx 512mb and the RadeonHD 6570 2gb

Luigi

I don’t have X installed on this machine.  So I can’t answer your question.

I’m going to be trying the same trick on an amd64 box I’ve been having the same kind of trouble with.  I have X installed (but I’m not using it) on that one.  I’ll let you know what I find out.

Rick
Trying my amd64 box with Nvidia graphics
$ lspci | grep VGA
09:02.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)
when booted into X mode gets the screen all scrambled and useless. I had to add
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset vga=0x31B"
to the /etc/default/grub file. If I left off the "vga=0x31B" part it booted but with the screen set to 1024x768 resolution. With the "vga" setting, I was able to specify full 1280x1024 resolution.

Everything seems to be working fine, but grub gives me an error message about "vga=" being depricated, but it disappears before I can read the whole thing.

Is there some way to make it pause at that point (before loading the kernel and initrd) so I can read the message? Does anyone know what it means?

Thanks!
Rick