Re: alberta on powerpc: R_PPC_REL24 relocation out of range

On 22.05.2015 16:58, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while looking at a test failure for dune-grid[1] on powerpc I encountered
> this issue:
>
>     gmshtest: error while loading shared libraries:
>     /usr/lib/powerpc-linux-gnu/libalberta_utilities.so.4:
>     R_PPC_REL24 relocation at 0x0fcde034 for symbol `time' out of range
>
> The internet suggests this happens when -fPIC is not used when building
> the shared library, but this flag is set, cf. the build log for
> alberta[2].

It looks like not all files are always compiled with -fPIC though. Have
you double-checked that all object files which end up linked into
libalberta_utilities.so.4 are compiled with -fPIC?

> Note that I had to use clang to build alberta as gcc misses a particular
> feature (constant folding for long double[3]).

It might be interesting to see if the problem happens with gcc as well
if possible, e.g. disabling any code using long double.

Another possibility might be an issue in binutils.