Re: Help with the arm64 and ppc64el installation-guides needed

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 07:16:50AM -0600, Sandeep G.R wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 5:44 AM, Sandeep G.R wrote:
> >
> > > I have a sid PPC64 from http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-ports running on
> > > Freescale Powerpc. Is their PPC64(Big-Endian) for Jessie similarly?
> >
> > The PPC64 port didn't get added to jessie, if you want jessie you'll
> > need to switch to ppc64el. If you want PPC64 big-endian, stick to
> > debian-ports unstable. Some info about the port is here:
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/PPC64
> >
> > --
> > bye,
> > pabs
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise
> >

> Thanks Paul. I guess ppc64el is for only IBM power8 machines not for
> Freescale powerpc right.

Well I have only heard of it running on power8 (and I think as a guest
in a VM on a power7 if I recall correctly).

Since my understanding of the purpose of ppc64el is to make exchanging
data with nvidia cards more efficient (since they are designed for little
endian data), and you probably aren't doing that with the freescale chips,
the ppc64el probably doesn't serve any purpose for the freescale chips.

Of course I am not even sure running 64bit userspace serves much purpose
for most uses either.  Is there really anything gained running 64bit
powerpc userspace in general?

According to what I have read, the freescale e6500 can run little endian,
except the altivec bit can not, which rather ruins the use in little
endian mode.

--
Len Sorensen