Alternative java/JVM working on armel/powerpc?

Hi there.

I would like to run some programs that require a JVM on "alternative"
platforms, like armel/powerpc (these are arches for which I have hardware
running Debian, but others might also be of interest).  (Please, feel free
to cross-post this message to other ports, if you deem this to be relevant.)

But anything related to Java is too slow on such architectures with the
default, unoptimized Zero JVM and I'm having some problems while trying to
use other JVM implementations that we have in the archive.

Based on this information, is there anybody out there that can help with
investigation of what works and what doesn't? I would love it if people
could perform a simple test by installing the packages scala and clojure1.4?

* Running clojure and typing "(+ 1 1)" (without the quotes) should give you
  back the answer 2.
* Running scala and typing "1 + 1" (again, without quotes) should also give
  you back the answer 2.

For each of these cases, does it get faster if you type it again (in which
case the JVM might be caching things)?

After that, can you install alternative JVMs? The packages are:

* jvm-7-avian-jre (for the Avian JVM)
* icedtea-7-jre-jamvm (for JamVM).

To make each be use by default, simply reorder the lines in

   /etc/java-7-openjdk/jvm-<your-arch-here>.cfg

In particular, does running with avian even work? All I got was an illegal
instruction. It is supposed to be a fast and memory efficient JVM and would
be a great thing to get running on arches where you can't upgrade your
memory as easily as with amd64 or i386.

Thanks in advance for any help here,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA