Re: Debian Stable, G4 powermac, X11 crashes on boot with, "black screen" + therm issue*?

*In general & tldr =

For now I the "black screen" problem is solved!

As Risto reminded us, I went back into my latest xorg.conf and checked that Option "NoAccel" "true" was enabled, and this fixed it.

I had so many different test files, and at some point I just didn't update that setting in my final file.

...FYI also, I am also getting a really great performance by using lightdm (display manager), in combination with openbox, making careful selections for the applications, e.g. the nice-looking lxterm, but mostly with stuff typically used with xfce.

I will follow up sometime with a brief post of my exact yboot.conf and xorg.conf settings.

*Re: David's

> I'm curious how the file generated by "X -configure" was overwritten after

> a reboot. Does "X -configure" by default generate an ephemeral

> configuration xorg.conf file?

"X -configure" creates customized, template for xorg.conf,

and it saves it in a different directory; then you can edit and move the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The generated new-config template is a regular file; and I have no idea why my system worked in the middle of the night, but then failed again the next morning. It seems like I temporarily got a working x-system by switching over to a different terminal at just the right moment... or perhaps nouveax acceleration worked that time for some reason... but then typically doesn't work [on such a system as a G4 powerbook].

I learned about this command from:

https://wiki.debian.org/Xorg

which was very helpfully linked-to, from the X.org website

*Also, I did double check that in my particular case I had already disabled the screensavers, and all of the laptop mode (auto dim/off-on), so here, that didn't seem to be a factor.

Best,jb