Re: install on MacPro G5 PPC gives black screen with white cursor - how to set up graphics?

yes do it now. It will not reboot your system.

The default installation will load the gnome desktop. If you want to try LXDE just execute this command
sudo apt-get install lxde

after that is done log out and I believe on the top right corner there should be an icon that will allow you to switch between desktops.

Herminio

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Levin, Michael <Michael.Levin@tufts.edu> wrote:
On Nov 23, 2014, at 6:33 PM, Herminio Hernandez, Jr. wrote:
> To keep those settings edit this file /etc/yaboot.conf
> sudo nano /etc/yaboot.conf
> add the append line like below
> image=/boot/vmlinux
>       label=Linux
>       read-only
>       initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>       append="quiet splash video=radeonfb:1280x854-32@60"
> save then exit

        got it! Done. But:

> now load this setting with this command
> sudo ybin -r

        do I need to do this now, while the system is up? Will it reboot when I do this? Will it automatically use these settings next time it boots, or do I need to do ybin -r every time I edit the yaboot.conf file?

        And do you know if there's anyplace to make longer the time that it waits for the user to choose an OS? It's too short now.

> You should be good! As far as gnome3 I have not tried it as a desktop on my PowerBook. I am currently using LXDE and am really happy with it. It is a really fast light weight desktop.

        ah, where do I select which environment it uses?

thank you very much!!

Mike