Re: Debian Stable, G4 powermac, X11 crashes on boot with, "black screen" + therm issue?

Thanks Risto & Dave,

I do have NoAccel true in xorg.conf,
 but checking for the auto-dim and screensaver as possible problems are both
also good tips.

I also meant to say in my follow up, X -configure [not "config"], created a file
that temporarily worked for me, but then the same issue came back after a
reboot.

Here is my original post:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2014/03/msg00042.html

jb

On Tuesday 25 March 2014 07:26:38 Risto Suominen wrote:
> One option you might try in your xorg.conf's Section "Device":
>
> Option "NoAccel" "true"
>
> I have put it in mine. I don't remember why. This is a 12" PowerBook 1.33
> MHz.
>
> lspci.
> 0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34M
> [GeForce FX Go5200] (rev a1)
>
> dmesg:
> [   10.305792] [drm] nouveau 0000:00:10.0: Detected an NV30 generation
> card (0x034900a3)
>
> Risto

I remember having this issue on an old PowerBook G4 15” (which I no longer
have).  It was related to the screensaver starting.  The screensaver would
start but instead of displaying the graphics, it would black-out the screen.
Neither keypress nor mouse movement would return to the desktop.  I recommend
removing your screensaver.  Additionally, try disabling the auto-dim/auto-off
for the display.
Dave